Wednesday, March 22, 2006

TV - American Idol

Tuesday night and we are exploring the music of the 1950s with your idols. Of course the show is overlong with the extra padding of fluff and commercials to warrant a 2 hour spot, but thanks to the wonders of DVR I started watching the show late and could fast-forward through all of Seacrest's mugging and the hundreth Ford ad and just get to the performances.

The performances are what it is all about..

The stand outs for me were:
Mandisa had another standout slot with her version of a little known Dinah Wasington song.
Chris Daughtry reworked Cash's I Walk The Line into a modern rock ballad to great effect.
Kellie Pickler was in her element singing Patsy Cline.
Katherine MacPhee lit up the stage with her interpretation of Ella Fitzgerald.
Paris Bennett again showed an age beyond her years with a hot version of Fever.

The also rans:
Taylor Hicks' performance on stage was a usual highlight although the choice of song was tired.
Ace Young smoldered his way through and the judges unbelievably sung his praises.

My bottom 3 picks:
Lisa Tucker, although Ace should be here, I feel she just didn't enough to break out of the bottom.
Kevin Covais even though he was better this week than I've ever heard him I just don't think he is versatile enough to be there.
Bucky Covington, I'm sorry Bucky, of all the performances last night he was the worst, for him he was pretty good but for the competition he was no where near.

My heart says Bucky should be given another shot and Kevin should go home. But the American public are notoriously unreliable in this regard and I fear Bucky is going home this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home