Sunday, March 19, 2006

TV - BBC's Doctor Who on Sci-Fi

I actually was given this a Xmas gift from my dad and was upset when the I couldn't get the my region code hack to make my Region 1 player play the UK DVD. It must have had so new coding that can't be hacked. Oh well..

Well finally Sci-Fi is now broadcasting this show on Friday nights and may I say that I throughly enjoyed the two part premiere this past week. I can't which number incarnation we have of the Doctor is but let me begin by saying that from these first two shows Christopher Eccleston is definately up there as one of my favs. And it is great that this classic show is being given the attention it deserves especially after the half-heatred TV movie starring Paul McGann as the Doctor which was broadcast in 1996.

The beginning of the show is my only gripe being a fan of Doctor Who in the past it is a shame they didn't get Paul McGann in for the transformation scene, whenever the Doctor changes faces in previous shows the last doctoe will turn into the new one. In this show we are introduced to the Doctor when he appears to save Rose (Billie Piper) from the plastic men. Back to Eccleston's portrayal of the Doctor, he displays all the great eccentricities that come along with the role, the sense of aloofness as he never seems completely paniced by otherwise dangerous situations and his wry sense of humor highligthed in part with an exchange he has with Rose's mother. But also Eccleston's Doctor shows a man who is almost burnt out, he is trying to save Earth because he failed to save other planets including his own. He is using his guilt to fuel his crusade.

The show brings the required cheesiness to the proceedings including on character being eaten by a wheelie bin. The writer's tongues have been firmly placed in their cheeks and it brings real fun to a great sci-fi show.

Yet again another show has been added to my must watch list.. dammit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home