Sunday, October 16, 2005

SOCOM 3 - What a rush!!!!

At first the idea of huge maps was very daunting to me, and for the most part playing them still is. I hate getting sniped after wandering around a map for 3 minutes looking for a fight.

Well last night in a respawn game on the map Crucible I went 6 minutes of 10 without getting killed. Something that was almost impossible on Socom 2. Hell even last 3o seconds in respawn was an achievement. After that game I got MVP twice in a row in respawn games on Devil's Road (may favorite board so far) and Killing Fields.

For me this incarnation of Socom is more accesible. I like the idea of unranked and ranked rooms. I can play in unranked when I don't know how long I can play for so I can quit whenever without penalty. And then I can play ranked to get, well, my rank. I have my first 2 diagonal bars which means I am Seaman Apprentice, whatever that means.

Things I love about this version:
1. Fast login from the main menu takes you straight in the SOCOM universe

2. From your friends list you can click on a buddy and join the game they are in.

3. It seems harder to get a kill. Which is a good thing as it is also harder for you to die. Snipers almost always have to get a head shot even with the M87. More often than not you end up in firefights that can last longer than 2-3 seconds.

4. In addition to the above point. Using cover to hide becomes even more essential and lot more fun as you hide from passing vehicles.

5. Vehicles. This part of the game is the most fun, even if you die when the truck you were driving gets blown up by an AT4 you just have to laugh. They also bring in another strategic element. Forcing alot of on foot soldiers to hide from the tank as it drives by.

6. Game variations. I have been playing Suppresion most of the time but there is all the other options out there. So many ways to play each map, night or day. It could take a life time just to learn each one. A different style of game each night of the week. Convoy is particularly tough as you have to protect trucks from being destroyed.

All this and I havent played the offline mode yet.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you be any bigger of a Geek?

9:31 AM, October 16, 2005  
Blogger Ozark said...

I can try

9:44 AM, October 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home